Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Kevin McCloud - eat your heart out!

As a child I always wanted to be an architect (but I became an engineer instead).

My favourite TV show would be Grand Design (or The Amazing Race).

I love Better Homes & Gardens Magazine and the best bit about the Sunday Paper is having a sneaky peak at someone or others lovely house featured in the Home section.

So when we dicovered a steep block of land overlooking Hobart's northern suburbs we jumped at the idea of building a house (although we'd never dreamed of doing it since I'm anti urban-sprawl - it was an in-fill block).

Anyway, we got a fabulous designer on board (Mike Cleaver), a great builder (Andrew Scott) and we've ended up with an award winning home! We won Best Residential Building upto 250 m^2 and Best Use of Colour at the Building Design Association of Tasmania. Go check out the pics at Clever Design.

Please note - our house never looks this tidy! A lot of our furniture is hiding, along with all things associated with people actually living in the house - I am not a neat freak and live a lot of the time in clutter, a brand new house does not change this (although great storage does help a bit).

11 comments:

Jo in TAS said...

Congratulations Ange! It is a fabulous home and I'm so envious of the views. It wins hands down over Moonah Industrial!!

humel said...

Oh... my.... word..... It's _stunning_! Congrats! :-) PS My husband didn't get Docs for a wedding gift, no lol - can't imagine him ever wearing them to be honest!! Thanks for dropping by my blog :-)

Unknown said...

Hi Ange. Awesome house. What views! I found Authentic on etsy today by the yard. I bought 33 fat quarters of Authentic today! Hmmmm...what to make???

dillpickle said...

Wow! You have a fantastic house! Well done on the award :-)

Sarah said...

Hey Ange!
Your house is just amazing! Congrats on the award! I must say that I have kitchen envy, the view from yours is fantastic.
x Lauren

Tania said...

Wow! Did you hear me? Wow! Gorgeous stuff indeed. But I have to say, I reckon a bit of clutter would make it even more gorgeous - lived in and loved if you get my drift?

Katie B said...

Your house is so cool! What a view!

Becky said...

Your house is AMAZING!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous!! The view, the glass windows and that bath!!!!! welldone on the award. Your house is GREAT

Virginia G said...

You know, I work for an engineering firm, and I would say a good 75% of the engineers wanted to be architects when they grew up.

It's a GORGEOUS home by the way.

Amanda said...

wow wow wow.....I had been intrigued by some photos you had posted previously (Matilda on tramp on balcony) that showed glimpses of the view....but seriously...what an awesome house. Congrats.