Thursday, November 24, 2011

Killer Coffee Cupcakes

I made these cupcakes this evening to share at an afternoon tea Tupperware party tomorrow.

Of course, we had to try them to make sure they were OK.

Trev declared them some of the best cupcakes he'd ever tasted!  He's a good man.

Coffee Cupcakes
125g butter, chopped, at room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 cups SR flour, sifted
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup strong black coffee, cooled

1.  Preheat oven to moderate, 180 oC.  Line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper patty cases.
2.  In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar together until light and creamy.
3.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Fold in flour alternatively with sour cream and coffee, beginning and ending with flour.  Spoon mixture into paper cases until 2/3 full.
4.  Bake for 20-25 minutes, until cooked when tested with a skewer.  Cool in pan for 5 minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Icing
1 cup soft icing mixture, sifted
10g butter
2-3 tablespoons hot strong black coffee
12 pecans, to decorate

5.  Combine icing sugar and butter in a small heatproof bowl.  Stir in enough coffee to make a smooth paste.  Place over a saucepan of simmering water and heat gently, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until mixture is a spreadable consistency.  Spread over cooled cupcakes and top each with a pecan.

6.  Eat with a hot cuppa!!

I struggled a bit with the icing - I think I put in too much coffee too soon and then had to add nearly another cup of icing sugar to correct it.  Next time I'll be adding the coffee a teaspoon at a time!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Good on you Trev : o )

Look yummo. ANYTHING caky with icing is YUMMmo.

emma @ frog, goose and bear said...

Now that is a big call. Best ever cupcakes! Now I just wished I liked coffee..... I feel like I'm missing out! I'm sure my husband would love them!